Tuesday, June 16, 2009

41 Weeks & 3 Days

Yup, that's how pregnant I am! I have past the due date, my 30th birthday, the average of being 8 days past due, and now my Grandpa's 79th birthday. Apparently, the baby is determined to have her own significant day and doesn't want to share it with anyone.

We went to my weekly prenatal appointment yesterday. Since I'm past due, they did a non-stress test, which means they put a couple sensors on my belly to listen to the baby's heart rate and to see if I was having any contractions. The baby's heart rate was good and strong, which is excellent, and I had a couple small contractions while I laid there. My midwife determined I was 2 cm dilated and also swept my membranes, which seemed to do something based on the more painful contractions I had last night. I seem to be laboring in spurts... mostly in the evening and at night. That's fine with me, as long as that leads to a speedy final labor and delivery!

My midwife requested I come in today for an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels. She believes the baby is still doing great and has plenty of amniotic fluid, but needs to verify. Assuming there is enough fluid, she will let me go to Monday without further intervention, at which point she'll pull out her bag of tricks. If the fluid is too low, I will have to go to the hospital to be induced.

Mom and Nicole arrived yesterday. I really thought I'd be picking them up from the airport with a baby in the car seat rather than still in my belly! I'm just hoping and praying the baby arrives VERY SOON so they get to spend time with her before Mom's scheduled departure on Tuesday.

Maybe part of the reason the baby hasn't arrived yet is it has been HOT and dry for weeks. We need a big storm to bring some rain and the baby!

Nicole marveling at the 101.2 degree heat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there sweetie! Every day is a gift to your baby:)